The ‘Broughs of Bodmin Moor’ will be offered on Sunday, April 24 – the second of the event’s two days.
Bonhams’ motorcycle department international director Ben Walker: “A lot of mystery surrounds these motorcycles, as very few people knew that they still existed, many believing them to be an urban myth. There was a theory that they still existed somewhere in the West Country, but few knew where, until now.
Enjoy more Classic Bike Guide reading in the monthly magazine.
Click here to subscribe & save.
“Stored in barns for more than 50 years, the motorcycles were discovered whole, in parts, and some were partially submerged under decades of dust, old machinery parts and household clutter.
“This is the last known collection of unrestored Brough Superiors; there will not be another opportunity like this. Only eight four-cylinder machines were built, and the example in this collection is the final one to be re-discovered.”
Bonhams’ west country motoring specialist Jonathan Vickers said: “The discovery of these Brough Motorcycles in Cornwall is historically significant; we’re delighted that these machines will now be offered for sale on an international platform for the first time in more than half a century.”
The late vendor, Frank Vague, was an avid member of the Brough Superior Club. He acquired the majority of the collection in the early 1960s – they’ve since remained unused for some 50 years.
Ben said: “Bonhams regularly achieves world record-breaking figures for Brough Superior motorcycles including unusual projects, which appeal to the enthusiast and collector of the brand. It would be great to see these back on the road, as they could all be restored.”
The full list of lots on offer is:
• The ex-Hubert Chantrey, 1938 Brough Superior 750cc BS4 – £80,000-120,000
• 1938 Brough Superior 982cc SS100 Project – £60,000-80,000
• 1926 Brough Superior SS100 – £30,000-40,000
• 1938 Brough Superior 982cc SS80 Project with Petrol Tube Sidecar – £22,000-32,000
• 1939 Brough Superior 982cc SS80 Project – £20,000-30,000
• 1938 Brough Superior 1,096cc 11-50HP Project – £16,000-22,000
• 1937 Brough Superior 982cc SS80 Project – £6,000-8,000
• 1936 Brough Superior 982cc SS80 Project – £6,000-8,000
Images of all eight can be viewed here.Enjoy more Classic Bike Guide reading in the monthly magazine. Click here to subscribe.